The Caraffa Palace on the Vittoriosa
waterfront was built as stores by order of the Italian grand master
Gregorio Caraffa in 1689, during the rule of the Knights of
the Military Order of St. John.
The property has three levels, each consisting of a number
of massive arched vaults. The ground floor housed the main
galley supplies depot, and extensive chandlery that dealt
with the supply requirements of fighting-ships and mercantile
vessels that put into the Grand Harbour. The port and maritime
central administrative offices of the Order of St John were
on the first floor. On the second floor were the officers'
quarters for the galley squadrons, and this is why there is
a doorway at this level onto the street running past the back
of the building.