In 1530, when the Knights
arrived on the Islands, the Fort became the seat of the Grand
Master of the Order. It was to play a heroic role in the Great
Siege of 1565. From its ramparts Grand Master La Vallette
directed all the major battles fought between the knights
and the Maltese against the Turks. It was from the fort's
cavalier that a shot aimed at the enemy camp a Sliema point
caused the death of Dragut, the feared leader of the Turks'
elite corps. In the 19th century, the British took over the
Fort and in 1912 it was officially listed as a ship, first
as HMS Egmont and then in1933 it was renamed HMS St Angelo.
More recently, the Government granted the Order of the Knights
of St John the upper part of the fort, comprising the magisterial
palace and St Anne's Chapel.
Three projects exist within Fort St Angelo. Please click on the icons on the left for more information